Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Iris folding

I am in the process of doing some new greeting cards. Just wanted to say a couple of words about one of my last purchases - self healing cutting mat. Some of my projects would be hard to implement if I did not have it. Very helpful considering that I am using it a lot recently. And you can see how much I need to cut out :))

So, iris folding. This technique is originated in Holland. Colour coordinated strips of folded paper are taped into place over a pattern, creating a spiralling design that resembles the iris of an eye or camera. Now it is common to use lightweight papers including those used for origami to create iris folding designs. That is what I found in internet about it. I decided to use my old beauty catalogs for it since paper is quite lightweight there. Besides a wide choice of shades of different colours is in offer. And you know I am a maniac of reusing :))
Patterns are easy to find in internet so all you have to do is cut and tape :) I was so involved into it that it did not take much time besides I was quite curious about the result. That is how it looked from behind. Not that fancy?
Here is the front side. Quite impressive. Exactly what I wanted to get. Nice colour and shade transitions. Besides it smells good as well since pages of the catalog were scented :)
The greeting card itself is not finished. That is just a piece of it. Stay tuned and I'll show it soon:)

1 comment:

  1. Where did you find your pattern? i have been looking for a really pretty flower but i haven't found one until i came across yours!

    ReplyDelete